In today's FAQ With A Vegan Chef video we talk all about how to transition to a vegan diet and a new way of cooking. When I went vegan almost 10 years ago there were not a lot of vegan substitutes. I had to actually learn about new foods and teach myself how to cook! It was kind of a blessing because I never became a junk food vegan and learning to cook is what motivated me to go to culinary school at The Natural Epicurean.
So now we have all kinds of vegan substitutes like veggie burgers, hot dawgs, sausages, yogurt, sour cream, you name it and there's a vegan substitute for it. Even vegan seafood is available! While those foods can be very helpful when someone is transitioning to a vegan diet I think it's most important to focus on whole foods and learning how to cook real food. Would you agree? I eat these foods on occasion but most my diet is made up on whole foods like veggies, fruit, grains, beans, nuts and seeds.
(Please click through to the post to view the video if reading this in email!)
But who has time to cook? There are so many great meals you can make in under 30 minutes! As I said in this post, keep things simple for the greatest success.
1. My go-to is the basic vegan bowl – includes a grain, a bean (tofu or tempeh) and a green with a sauce
2. Veggie stir-fry with or without tofu
3. A wrap that includes hummus or beans with lots of veggies
4. Veggie burgers made with beans/grains/nuts/seeds (can make a big batch and freeze)
6. Lentil or bean soups, vegetable soups and stews (easy to freeze for later)
7. Huge salad with greens, veggies, avocado, beans and oil-free dressing
8. Casseroles (easy to freeze for later)
9. Pasta dishes with veggies and a light sauce
10. Massaged kale salad with marinate tempeh or tofu
11. Loaded nachos with oil-free nacho cheeze sauce, beans, tomatoes, lettuce and salsa
12. Tortilla or pita bread pizza with tomato sauce and lot of veggies
13. Sandwich with hummus, veggies and sprouts
14. "Chicken" salad on a bed of greens
15. Sloppy Joes or Janes, especially this lentil version
16. Tofu scramble with lot of veggies or in a wrap
17. Crockpot chili
18. Raw pasta salad
What quick meals do you make at home? Please share with us in the comments!