Delicious Seitan in a Pressure Cooker | Blissful and Fit

Delicious Seitan in a Pressure Cooker

Cooking Tool of the Month – Pressure Cooker

If you are not convinced yet that you need to own a pressure cooker, check out this video on how to make the most delicious seitan ever. When I’ve made it by boiling it in a pot, I never get the texture I want. Maybe I need to knead it more, maybe I’m just doing it wrong, but when I use this method in the pressure cooker if always comes out nice and dense.

Seitan is something I rarely eat because of the gluten. I’m not allergic or gluten-sensitive, but I do feel better when I don’t eat too much of it. If you don’t want a slightly Italian flavored seitan than feel free to change up the spices or just leave them out and season the seitan after it’s cooked. (don’t forget to use the Like and share buttons at the bottom of the post)

Pressure-Cooked Seitan

1 1/2 cup wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup barley flour (or other whole grain flour)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon each sage thyme and oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon shallot minced
2 dashes sea salt
1 cup vegetable broth (may need more broth)
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tamari
3 cups water
3 cups broth
1/4 cup tamari

Directions:
Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk together the rest of ingredients except broth in a small bowl. Add wet to dry and stir until well combined. Dough will start to form. Knead for 5 minutes and form into a log shape about 2 inches in diameter and 8 inches long approximately. Wrap log in cheesecloth and tie ends with twine. Place broth ingredients in the pressure cooker and bring to a boil. Place log inside and lock lid in place. Bring up to pressure reduce flame to simmer and cook 30 minutes. Let come down from pressure naturally. Remove log and let cook slightly. Remove cheesecloth and slice seitan into rounds then into strips.

Use as you wish. This can be stored in a container with the broth in the fridge. Or cut into chunks and placed in a zip lock bag with a touch of broth.

What are some of your favorite ways to use seitan? Share a link to one of your favorite recipes that uses seitan with us!

And how to you like the new theme song and intro clip to my video? Thanks to Ken for that intro clip and Audio Jungle for the song. It was really hard to choose!

P.S. I was featured with another vegan (Nora, my friend and Mercy For Animals Dallas head) in an article for the Ft. Worth Star Telegram called the Movers and Shakers of DFW.

P.S.S. Nanette is used her CSA box to make recipes out of Blissful Bites this week. See what she made!

Posted in Lunch/Dinner Ideas, Protein, Recipes on 01/20/2012 02:42 am

1. huh…I had no idea you could make seitan in a pressure cooker!

2. Is there any way to make seitan gluten and corn free? I really, really would like to make some (and all of the recipes that require it), but I'm a no-go with corn and gluten and I can't seem to find a recipe anywhere :'(

I would seriously go out and buy a pressure cooker just for the seitan recipe if you could (pretty, pretty please!) figure out the recipe for all of us gf and cf peeps 🙂

Best of luck 😀

3. I have 3 favorite seitan recipes:

Two from EDTV–

Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausage

( I substitute 2 Tablespoons of flax seed meal for the oil; add 1 1/2 teaspoons of liquid smoke and steam for 60 minutes instead of 30 because then the sausage is not glummy and has more of the texture of pork sausage.)

Vegan Turkey Roast

And

Seitan Salami

4. Note on the Salami recipe:

I again substitute flax seed meal for the oil. I also substitute 3 cloves of garlic, minced for the garlic powder and add that to the wet ingredients. And I add 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder to the dry ingredients and you only need to knead the dough until the ingredients are combined which only takes about a minute. Then form it into a 8 inch log. I use parchment paper between the log and the foil to avoid the aluminum touching the log. (I do the same when making the Italian sausage recipe too.) I bake it at 325 degrees for 90 minutes on a baking sheet.

5. Oh, I have to try this! When you see wheat gluten flour do you mean Vital Wheat Gluten, or something different?  Can't wait to try this!

• Yes Vital Wheat Gluten or gluten flour!! I buy it in the bulk bins. Let me know what you think! I bet you’ll come up with a delicious winter recipe to go with this seitan. I’m counting on it! 😉

• I might try a super-macro recipe, just for you! 🙂

• By gluten flour do you mean high gluten flour? Ive tried to find vital gluten flour in bulk and have only seen high gluten flour (which isnt the same)

Where are you finding your vital gluten in bulk?

And thank you for the pressure cooker version. My oven just went on the fritz – Ive been wrapping my seitan in tin foil and baking for 90 min. My minions love it!

• I found it at Whole Foods and other natural food stores. I’ve never seen “high gluten flour” only vital gluten flour. If you know it’s the kind of flour that you use to make seitan usually then that is the right stuff! Give this version a try! I think you and your kiddos will like it too 🙂

6. Congratulations on the dfw.com article. You rock, Christy.

I've done seitan in a slow cooker, most recently using Kathy Hester's recipe from The Vegan Slow Cooker. Will be trying your recipe, using my pressure cooker, this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

• Thanks Bernadette! Let me know how it compares to the slow cooker. I may end up getting one next winter. I chose it as the Cooking Tool of the Month for December this year! 🙂

7. unfortunately i am tapped out on real estate in the kitchen to house one more kitchen appliance (and i do very much love them)–can this recipe be made the traditional way–ie in my crockpot?

8. My husband made this seitan today and was very happy with the results (he typically makes it in our slow cooker).  He used the seitan to make meatballs and they were so delicious.  We couldn't stop eating them! Thanks for this great pressure cooker recipe!

9. Oh — another use for my pressure cooker! Exciting!

Question: when you say "bring up to pressure", how many pounds of pressure did you use? My pressure cooker has two "settings" — low pressure and high pressure.

Thanks 🙂

10. I can't wait to try this!  I've been trying to perfect my seitan technique for a while.  My omni husband is always ready with the critique when its too spongy.  The pic in your post is VERY encouraging.  It looks perfect!  Thanks for sharing.  : )

11. This sounds delicious! I've never tried making seitan, but this recipe makes me think that I might be able to do it. Thanks so much for sharing, now I've just got to get out my pressure cooker.

12. rebecca davis

Hi, I'm wondering if after the seitan is made in the pressure cooker, then is it ready or does it then need to be cooked in whichever recipe you are making? Thanks

• It is ready to be eaten after it’s done, though it’s not heavily seasoned. I like it just fine on it’s on, but you may need to season it more depending on how you are using it. Or you will add it into the recipe you are making.

13. I received this set for Mother’s Day and couldn’t be happier. The quality and ease of use is unbelievable and it’s easier to store because of the smaller handles. I highly recommend this set.

14. I love this. I'll be honest, I rarely eat seitan because it's such a pain to make! I can't believe I haven't thought of this! Thanks for sharing

15. I put about 2 cups of boiling water in bottom of my pressure cooker, put a 1/2 inch high "steaming stand" (I think these came with presto pressure cookers;to keep bowl off bottom of pressure cooker)in the bottom of the pot, put a stainless steel bowl on the stand, put seitan in bowl with broth and pressure cook for 12 minutes. I turn the heat off and then let the pressure cooker sit on the burner/ No cheesecloth, and only 12 minutes cooking time.

• I will give that a try again. Last time I did something similar the seitan had a spongy texture I didn’t care for. I really like the dense, can be sliced like lunch meat texture.

• I get that texture (not the spongy one; the sliced deli meat type) in my pressure cooker; I tend to always pressure  cook my seitan as its so quick, and uncomplicated.even the foil wrapped sausages, loafs, etc are all cooked in my pressure cooker. a

• OH cool! I was wondering if I could do the foil wrapped in the pc, but it kind of scares me to all aluminum cooking into my food. So I think I may still wrap it in cheesecloth 🙂

16. This is so cool! I'm trying it right after I leave this comment 🙂

17. can't wait to try this. excited to combine hand-made seitan and my wonderful pressure cooker. will give a report soon!

• made it last week – was awesome! i'd add a tad more salt/soy sauce to the actual seitan, but the consistency and texture was great – plus no annoying mushy edges like when i cook it on the stove. thanks for the pressure cooker tip!

quick question tho – i added a lot more broth so it covered the seitan… is this necessary? does yours cover it?

18. I made this seitan today and I can honestly say it’s a game changer! I have made so many variations of seitan in my six years being vegan – I’ve baked it, boiled it, slow cooked it… I never even considered pressure cooking it but now that I have found this method I will NEVER look back! So fast to pull it together and the results are A-Mazing! Thank you so much Christy!!

• Yay!! I’m so glad you feel the same way as me about this seitan. It’s the only way I like to have it!

19. I made this with my new instant pot. This was so easy and yummy, no more running around town trying to find one to buy. I am going to use your recipe from now on, thank you

20. I see that there are minced shallots in the recipe but did not notice you adding them? Do I need to add them to the recipe? Thanks! Can’t wait to try it!!