A Wake-up Call | Blissful and Fit

A Wake-up Call

I was so completely appalled by this blog post for numerous reasons that I had to devote my own blog post to it. After reading the comments in this blog I realized just how far we have to go. It boggles my mind that people in this country have a complete disconnect on how their food choices affect everything and everyone around them.

First, throwing a pie in someone’s face and other PETA like actions are not acceptable or appropriate. People who do these things hurt the movement and make vegans look crazy. Please, for the love of tofu, find other ways to communicate your message. Actions like these just fuel the fire that “The vegetarian (in particular vegan) lifestyle draws the most intense sort of people and keeps them there with their cult-like brainwashing.” We must set an example for others and spread the message of love and compassion. The only way we can help others is to not judge but give reliable information and feed them delicious food 🙂

Second, they claim vegans are the ones that are “brainwashed”? As Will Tuttle so eloquently points out in his book The World Peace Diet, we as a society have been brainwashed into eating animals by our society, culture, government, family, etc. and if you partake in this way of eating you are just a robot. If you step back you might realize that you weren’t given a choice when you were a child. You can now choose to stop your predatory eating habits. And if you don’t then you continue to play into the hands of agri-business and you’re just a sheep following the herd.

“radical nature of the vegan diet”

Third, how can eating a diet rich in plant foods that do not harm living creatures and is a diet meant for our bodies be “radical”. If anything killing 75 MILLION animals A DAY could be considered radical. Our expanding waistlines, triple bypass surgeries, taking 8 pills a day just so we can get up and move, shooting insulin 3 times a day, dying before we see our grand kids grow up, not being able to take a poo on a daily basis, destroying the planet and killing off entire species, ruining the oceans and drinking water, allowing 1 billion people to starve to death while we stuff our faces, and producing franken-food via Monsanto could all be considered “radical” don’t you think?

It has been proven time and time again that we do not need animal foods for optimal health. In fact, the excess of animal foods is the root of all our problems in this country, physically, mentally, and spiritually (read The World Peace Diet!). We need to wake-up. We need to stop making lame excuses to continue the death of 10 billion animals a year for our consumption. And if you don’t give a damn about the animals than doing for your own health. Do it because you want to feel good and be without pain and suffering. Whatever your reasons are Just Do It!

Here is a great new documentary coming out soon that is going to help the everyday person see how switching to a plant-based diet can transform your entire being. Here’s the trailer. Don’t miss it!

Posted in My Blog on 04/10/2010 04:06 am

1. Well said, Christy! I agree with everything you’ve said here, 100%.

2. couldn’t have said it any better! it’s like when i tried out raw food for a week, someone told me that it was “radical.” riiiiiiight, eating stuff from the earth that hasn’t been processed and isn’t full of chemicals—-so CRAZY!

3. Christy,

I’m constantly shocked when people look at the vegan diet as radical. I have friends who think shopping at the farmers market is kind of “dirty”. And yet buying meat in a grocery store doesn’t phase them at all -because they are removed from the very “dirty” and disgusting process that delivers pieces of animals in styrofoam trays.

I do wish we were more informed as a society about the food systems our government supports. Every decision we make about the food we eat has impact on people, the planet and the animals.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

4. Hi Christy,

It always amazes me when I read things like that blog post—there was so much hate in it, I don’t see how anyone can feel good about the message. The interesting thing about all of it is that by criticizing vegans so much, that writer is putting themselves at just as low of a level as he is trying to accuse vegans of being at! I’m always leery of people who push their ideas by putting others’ down. I’m sure there are extreme judgmental vegans who try and push their ideas on others….just as there are people of the opposite diet doing the same thing (and every other diet in between!).

What happened to just enjoying the knowledge, understandings, and habits of ourselves at any given time, surrounding ourselves with like-minded individuals, and leaving everyone else alone?

I completely agree with your outlook on food, and I wish more people would see things this way…and they will if/when they’re ready because of how social change happens—-all the bloggers, documentaries, tv exposure, and more will lead to higher acceptance and more people jumping on the wagon. Just like cigarette smoking, knowing the healthiest choice won’t make everyone do it either…so at least we can see progress!

Thanks for blogging about this!

Lisa

5. I totally totally agree with this. I’m a new vegan (1 1/2 months, baby!), but the things that I’ve learned so far about myself and others is incredible. How people react sometimes boggles my mind. Luckily my family has been hugely supportive, even switching to vegan meals while I’m at home.

How I eat isn’t impacting anyone negatively. I’m not screaming it from the rooftops, it takes someone to notice that there’s no meat on my plate before they even ask. I hardly think a plant-based diet is radical, it’s simply being a bit proactive!

6. Very well said, I agree wholeheartedly. It’s scary to read the comments of people who are so misled and brainwashed. It’s pretty easy to believe that something is wrong if it’s really what you want to believe anyhow. I watched the clip of the author. I’m very confused as to what she is saying about agriculture being so detrimental to the land, where does she think all the food comes from to feed all these animals that people love to eat so much? Besides the fact that organic gardening does none of the damage to the earth and topsoil she’s referring to. What are these supposed dietary deficiencies anyway? For optimum health vegans and non-vegans alike need to eat more plants and less sugar and processed foods. Take some B12, done. Meat and dairy are directly linked to the highest causes of death in the US. I agree with what you said about the pie-throwing activists. Free speech is free speech, thanks for giving vegans more to defend against.

7. This was a great post!

8. I agree with everything but also try to do the math here.

You mention the death of “75 MILLION animals A DAY” and later “45 BILLION animals A YEAR”. That would require a year to have ~789.5 days, no? Apparently one of these values is incorrect OR some explanation on how these values are calculated is missing OR to be safe … just add the source where the numbers come from.

Other than that … very well said and I definitively agree!

9. I don’t mean to point out the obvious, but it was at an “Anarchist” book fare. I wouldn’t go to something “organized” by Anarchists and expect high fives and hugs… But dealing with delusional “former vegans” can’t be done with violence. We need to attack these liars with facts and reality not hot pies, save those for counter attacks if anyone ever tries to throw meat or blood on us, because that’s the precedent stuff like this will set.

10. Wow…I got half-way through the trailer and wanted to respond…YES!!!!!! This is the documentary people need to see. I have been a vegan for only a few months now but it was SEEING films like this, visiting websites and blogs like THIS and reading book after book about our food and the state of our country (our world) that got me to realize what I needed to do! Would it be easier to shield myself from the knowledge that created my new way of living? Absolutely! I could order food without dozens of questions and alterations, I could eat more places, I could spend less money. But there is a devastating effect to this “easier” lifestyle and I choose not to pay that price. I choose to know that with every question I ask when I order my food I am that much closer to being in control and KNOWING what I am putting in my body, that the extra money I spend puts more nutritious foods into the spuermarket and more money into the pockets of those who provide this food. I sleep better at night knowing that my choices (no matter how less convenient) help the planet, my community, and my body and mind.

I cannot wait to see this film.